Principal | Patricia Muxie
Updated | June 2015
Our Hero's Art Project !
Some of our Grade 5 students share their responses to the question,
"Who is your hero?"
Our Author Visit From Stephen Glazer
Students in Grades 2 and 3 recently reveived a visit fom published author and illustrator Stephen Glazer. He shared insights about the writing process.
Aborn Track And Field News!
George Laubner Academic and Leadership Award
Gavin is a Grade 5 Aborn student who recently won the George Laubner essay contest. Gavin's essay was about his future plans to study meteorology.
My Ideal School!
Aborn student, Calli, recently won the MSBA and Santander Bank's, "My Ideal School" contest. Here she proudly displays her winning drawing and paragraph with her family and teacher, Ms. Sweeney. Over two thousand students entered the contest. Congratulations, Calli!
Q and U Wedding At Aborn!
Mrs. Gallant's classroom celebrates the wedding of Q and U with Mrs. Condon's class joining in the festivities!
Mr. Eddy presides over the ceremony.
GEeeee A New Look For The Art Room!
David Hyde and his General Electric volunteers recently gave the Aborn art room a brand new look! Thank you, GE!
Junior Miss Pagent Winner!
Sophia displays her recent trophy from the Junior Miss pageant where she faced many competitors. Congratulations, Sophia!
Item Staff Beware!
Daily Item staff beware! The Aborn newspaper staff, under the direction of Mrs. Drakopoulos, may be giving you some competition!
Mrs. Honey Hats!
Kindergarten students share their recent literacy project from the story, "Mrs. Honey's Hats," with Ms. Muxie.
Lynn STEM Conference Grade 5
A Grade 5 student puts the finishing touches on Lynn's exhibit for the STEM conference!
Woven Art At Aborn!
Grade 5 students show off their intricate art designs woven with thin yarn.
Ms. Muxie has regular visitors from the Kindergarten classes who come and read their original stories to her!
Q and U Wedding!
Kindergarten students recently celebrated the wedding of the letters Q and U. Mr. Jonathan Eddy, Grade 5 teacher, presided over the ceremony and gave the letters his blessing and good wishes for a happy marriage.
|Move Your Cursor To Control Scrolling | Images Are Touchscreen and Mouse Sensitive
Welcome To The Aborn Elementary School
“Students come to school… seeking themselves. Like all humans, they are looking for a sense of their own meanings, roles, and possibilities.” Tomlinson and McTighe
At the Aborn elementary school we never forget the above fact. It is our job and our mission, to work closely with parents and other members of the community to create students who enjoy the process of learning, attain the 21st century skills they need to lead successful lives, and in that process, discover their talents and ultimately themselves.
We do this within the context of standards-based instruction and assessment, as well as a mindful focus on developing a character that includes responsibility, good decision-making, and empathy for others. These are things that students will carry with them throughout their lives.
Our staff members value the following responsive approaches to teaching:
- Find ways to get to know students
- Incorporate opportunities for small group teaching and activities into weekly routines
- Teach to the high end and state expectations clearly
- Offer multiple ways to explore learning
- Teach with different learning styles in mind
- Frequently monitor student understanding.
We welcome you to join us in our efforts to guide the journey of our next generation.
Feel free to peruse the pages of our website, which we will be updating throughout the year.
If you have any questions or contributions, feel free to contact us!
Welcome To Aborn's "Classroom Connections" | Our School Resources
"This Month At School" | April, May and June 2015
Monthly Announcements, News, Notes and More!
Happy Spring! Yes, really!
Listed below are some important dates to note for the months of April, May, and June. We thought it would be helpful for you to have these dates for your planning purposes, since many refer to major school events. Once you’ve reviewed the calendar portion of this notice, I’ve listed some additional information for you on the reverse side. Please hang this list in a place for easy reference. For your added convenience, and so that you can access them with your internet capable devices, I will add these events to the Aborn School website calendar. Go to: http://www.lynnschools.org/aborn.
See you soon!
MONTH: MAY and JUNE 2015
||Aborn Staff Members Walk for Colleen Ritzer in Andover (Optional donations may be sent to Mrs. Gallant for the Colleen Ritzer Scholarship Fund.)
|Tues. / Wed.
||MCAS Math Grade 3, Sessions 1 and 2, Start time: 9 a.m.
||Walk or Bike to School Day
||Gr. 3-5 Student Council Meets in the morning,
All City Art Exhibit 6-7:30 p.m. at Lynn Arts Inc., 25 Exchange Street, Lynn
||Mother’s Day-Do something nice for your mom, grandmother, aunt, or someone you know who cares very much about you!
||MCAS Math Grades 4 & 5, Sessions 1 and 2, Start time: 9 a.m.
||Aborn Family School Spring Dance- Breed Middle School, 90 O’Callaghan Way, 6-8 p.m. Country Western Theme- Pull on those boots and dance! Pizza and ice cream will be sold!
||School Site Council meets, 3-4 p.m. in the Computer Lab.
||MCAS Science Grade 5, Sessions 1 and 2, Start time 9 a.m.
||Wear Jeans for Our Troops Day (Staff-$5 donation, Students-donation optional)
||Memorial Day-NO SCHOOL
||PIM Team Meets at 2:30
||Grade 1 Patriotic Show at the Bethany Church at 9 a.m.
||Spring Sing at the Bethany Church featuring Grades 3-5 plus Chorus and Instrumentalists Start time: 9 a.m.
||Grade 5 goes to the Navigator’s Game-Tentative game start time is 10:15
||Grade 4 Owl Pellet Program-Start time: 8:45
||Grade 5 Vision Program 9-10:45 a.m.
||Field Day Rain Date
||Father’s Day- Do something nice for your dad, grandfather, uncle, or someone you know who cares about you very much!
||Kindergarten Moving On Ceremony – Time and Location TBD
||Grade 5 Moving On Ceremony at the Bethany Church- Start time: 9 a.m.
||Tentative Last Day of School for Grades 1-5 (Typically a ½ Day!) OVER!
- Since we are planning so far in advance, times and locations listed on this calendar may be subject to change. If you want to confirm an event, please call our secretary, Mrs. McManus in our front office at 781-477-7320.
- As you can see from the calendar above, in May students will be completing another round of MCAS testing. Your child’s attendance on test days is extremely important. Here is a reminder of some tips to help children do their best:
- Don’t put so much emphasis on the test that your child gets stressed. Explain that while it’s important for him/her to do his/her best, the purpose of the tests is to simply help show how much he/she has learned and what we need to teach.
- ***Practice the test format. For example, children might have to read a Math word problem and solve it showing their computation (e.g., multiplication, division, or addition). They will then have to EXPLAIN IN WRITING why they did what they did! Have your child practice explaining his/her thinking in writing. It is not something we are used to doing, but our state Dept. of Education feels it is an important skill for students to develop in order to be ready for college and their careers.
- Limit activities the night before the test so that your child can get the rest he/she needs to do well.
- On test day, give your child an energy boosting breakfast that includes both protein (eggs, yogurt, milk) and carbohydrates (fruit, oatmeal, toast).
- National Walk or Bike to School Day is May 6th. We encourage all students to walk or bike to school on this day if possible! Walking and biking both keep your heart healthy!
- Reserve the date for one of Aborn’s favorite events! Friday, May 15th is the Aborn Family Dance. We will be having the dance at the Breed Middle School this year. The school is located at 90 O’Callaghan Way in Lynn. The dance will have a country western theme. Pizza and ice cream will be sold.
- We hope everyone is continuing to collect Box Tops for Education! This is an easy way for our school to collect extra funds to support student and staff programs. If you need an extra Box Top sheet, just have your child ask Mrs. McManus for one!
Thank you for your continued support!
Aborn Elementary School Information | 2014-2015
School Staff List | 2014-2015
| Updated August 1, 2014