Lynn Youth Council | 2016-2017
The Lynn Youth Council invites applications to become a Youth Councilor. New Councilors will begin their duties in January, 2017. The Youth Council consists of up to 18 members, selected from male and female applicants aged 12 – 19 in each of the city wards and at-large. Candidates who are able to make the Youth Council their top extracurricular priority are preferred.
- Empower youth as a positive voice in the community
- Seek input from youth regarding city issues and civic concerns
- Promote youth participation in problem-solving and policymaking
- Enlist youth support for city initiatives
- Provide youth with direct experience of governance processes
- Raise the image of youth in the city of Lynn
- Residence in Lynn
- Age 12–19, in Middle School, High School or GED program.
- Meet weekly on Thursdays from 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Meetings will be about 1 hour long and located at the LYNN YMCA.
- Join at least one Youth Council sub-committee and meet at agreed upon times.
- Attend a minimum of 2 school committee meetings and 2 City Council meetings each year.
- If available, participate in summer civic engagement project.
- Participate in training, orientation and other activities.
- Conduct research, discuss issues and represent peers.
- Meet with and make recommendations to the City Council and School Committee.
Serve for a one or two year term as determined appropriate by the advisors and selection committee.
- Completed application forms are due no later than December 23rd, and must include a letter of recommendation from an adult, such as a teacher, coach or principal.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
- The written portion of the application will be judged anonymously and candidates will be selected to interview with the selection committee.
- Applications should be submitted (by hand or by mail) to:
Wanntha Sim Chanhdymany
Director of Grants & Volunteerism
20 Neptune Blvd.
Lynn, MA 01902
For more info contact: email@example.com or at (781) 581-3105 x739
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE