Dress Code | Student Appearance
Students will be expected to keep themselves well groomed and neatly dressed at all times. Any form of dress or hairstyle which is considered contrary to good hygiene, or which is distractive or disruptive in appearance, and detrimental to the purpose or conduct of the school will not be permitted. Disruptive clothing is considered, but not limited to, clothing with obscenities, fighting words, incitement, or defamation written on it.
A | The following guidelines shall determine dress and grooming:
3. Cleanliness, and
4. Suitability for school.
B | The following are not suitable, or in good taste, for school and should not be part of student's attire or grooming:
1. Hats, bandannas, headbands, scarves, gloves, wristbands, doo-rags, skullcaps, hoods and wavecaps are not to be worn in school. Such items must be kept out of sight.
a. Tank tops, halters, mini-skirts, shoulder-less tops, halter-top dresses, tube tops or tops that bare the midriff, spandex or skin-tight clothes (regardless of length) and shorts or other pants of any kind rising above the knee may not be worn
b. Regardless of style, all shirts must be tucked in, and belt-line visible.
c. Pants must be worn at or above the waistline.
3. Shirts advertising tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advocating drug use, or those with obscene printing, violence of any kind, or printing considered by the principal to be inappropriate, will not be permitted.
4. See-through articles of clothing will not be allowed.
5. Shoes that pose a safety problem, or contain metal cleats, taps, or wheels are not permissible.
6. Use of all electronic devices, including cell phones, is not allowed on school property during school hours. Violation of this policy will result in immediate confiscation of the item, parental notification as well as possible conditional suspension. If these items are brought to school they must remain out of sight and off.
7. Non-prescribed dark glasses are not to be used in school. If prescribed, a doctor's statement must be on file in the nurse's office, or with the principal, and recorded in the office.
8. Metal studs or chains placed on gloves, coats or any part of pupil's clothing, including shoes, which may cause danger to other students and school personnel, or may cause damage to school or personal property, are not allowed.
9. Clothing which is considered by the principal to be gang-related or in gang-related "colors" will not be permitted.
C | Any student violating this policy will have his/her parent notified to bring in the appropriate clothing.
1. Any student sent home because of inappropriate clothing will be expected back in school, without delay, properly dressed for class. Any time missed will be considered an unexcused class absence.
D | Violation of these regulations shall be addressed immediately and the cooperation of the student and his/her parents sought from the principal or his/her designee. Repeated offenses may result in progressive discipline up to and including conditional suspension.
Adopted by the School Committee June 8, 2006
Amended by the School Committee March 29, 2012